Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Middle-Aged New Year's Eve

In an earlier post, I talked about my friend Maxley and some of the New Year's Eve Parties we had in my just-barely-misspent youth. Well, that was then; this is now:

The Wife and I went out for a very nice dinner at 6:30 PM--the only time we could get a reservation on short notice. But that's okay--the food was great, and each course came with a wine pairing, including dessert--leading to much more wine than I'm used to drinking in one sitting, these days.

By 9:00 we were back at home. Thing 1 was still awake, watching shark videos on the computer. He and the Wife began a game of Clue.

By 9:30, I was passed out. I have NO idea when the Wife and Thing 1 called it a night.

And, of course, by 4:30 AM I was wide awake. I stared at the ceiling for a while, and eventually gave up, got up, and made coffee. And here I am.

So I missed seeing the ball drop in NYC, which would have been at 10:00, my time. And I missed ringing in the new year in my own time zone. And I woke up just too late for Hawaii, I suppose. Perhaps there's some deserted island in the South Pacific where it is, right now, midnight. But I don't care.

Onward and upward. Happy New Year to all.

No comments: